Text to Speech

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Oct 18 19:02:58 BST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How does one actuate the text to speech function of KDE? The only way
> that I see is to copy text to Kmouth. Can other KDE apps perform this
> function? How about non-KDE apps, such as Firefox and Open Office?

There is also a desktop session service calls KTTSD:
http://accessibility.kde.org/developer/kttsd/

Theoretically also useable from non-KDE apps, but somehow they never started
using DCOP. Will probably change with the transition to D-Bus in the upcoming
KDE4 series.

> Note that the speech test in Kcontrol works, but Kmouth is silent for
> me. How can I troubleshoot it? Also, how can I add different voices?
> Thanks in advance.

You probably will get better help at the KDE accessibility list
https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-accessibility

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring