Konsole unable to start xapps as root in Archlinux

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Oct 18 18:46:31 BST 2007

I have no problem starting xapps in Konsole, while su'ed to root on my Fedora,
and Debian installs, but am having a problem with Archlinux.

Apparently the default behaviour of Konsole in Archlinux is to deny the
starting of xapps, but I can't see where this default setting is to be found

Kwrite for example will open, if started as user in Konsole, but not when
su'ed to root. this is the output when trying to open Kwrite as root.

Xlib: connection to ":0 . 0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

kwrite: cannot connect to x server :0 . 0

KDE version is 3.5.7

Any help appreciated.

Nigel.