Changing file association for all media files

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:25:40 GMT 2007

On 29/11/2007, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> > Thank you Kevin. I don't think that I was very clear in my question,
> > so I will rephrase it. How do I configure KDE to open every type of
> > audio file in Amarok?
> >
> > As it stands now, I must click on MP3, and change it to Amarok, then
> > WAV and change it to Amarok, then ogg and change it to Amarok, and so
> > on for 10+ different filetypes. Is there not one fell swoop that will
> > change ALL the filetypes in Kcontrol -> KDE Components -> File
> > Association -> Audio to Amarok?
>
> I'll try to explain it a bit differently.
> Each application, including Amarok, specifies in its .desktop file (which is
> also used to create the K-menu entry) which MIME types (or file types) it can
> handle.
>
> It *also* specifies a numeric value called the initial perference, i.e.
> something KDE and other desktop environments use to determine which of all
> the applications to choose if more than one application says it can handle
> the MIME type in question.
>
> As the name indicates ("initial") it can be overridden, e.g. by reordering the
> application's in control center. This reordering is saved
> in .kde/share/config/profilerc (assuming KDEHOME to be $HOME/.kde/)
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

I understand. So there is currently no way to adjust all the formats
in one fell swoop. I'd have to write a script that would change this
line:
Application=*
to:
Application=kde-amarok.desktop

For every:
[audio/* - 1]

That may be doable in Perl (not that I know Perl). Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.