Changing file association for all media files

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Nov 28 13:25:14 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How to configure Amarok as the default for ALL audio formats? So that
> I don't need go through all the formats in Kcontrol -> KDE Components
> -> File Association -> Audio and manually choose Amarok for each one
> individually? Same thing for VLC for ALL video formats. How?

Each application already registers which MIME types it can understand, however
the ordering can be changed, as you have discovered, through the control
center.

However, each application also states its "initial preference" in its .desktop
file.

I guess local modifications, i.e. applied through the control center, override
this then.

So you could make sure that you do not have any local overrides (stored in
file profilerc in your local kde config dir, see kde-config --path config)
and then change the initial preference for Amarok to something high enough.

The application desktop files are located under kde-config --path xdgdata-apps

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring