[kde] adding a sub-menu to kicker

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 16 07:23:45 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Thursday 15 November 2007, Jens Stroebel wrote:
> 		Hiya.
>
> We're having the problem of placing a sub-menu which already exists in
> the general menu structure on the kicker (the panel).
>
> As
> 1.) we don't get access to all the machines where we want to do that
> 2.) we want it to be on the kicker even for "new users" (those which
> haven't used a KDE-session before)

Are you asking as a sysadmin, i.e. a somewhat controlled environment, or as an
ISV?

> dragging it from the menu to the kicker is no option.

Right, but doing it one time will give you hints which files are actually
modified in which way.

I guess it will modify kickerrc and depending on the change or amount of
changes it can be re-done in a script using kwriteconfig.

As far as I know there are two options:

1) a kind of startup script, i.e. autostarted but running as each user, uses
kreadconfig/kwriteconfig or other scripting tools to modify the user's
kickerrc accordingly

2) use a KDE config update script. This is something I am not 100% sure about.
KDE has a mechanism to run some kind of config updaters when application
configs change between versions. On my system they are located
in /usr/share/apps/kconf_update, so in generic KDE terms this would be a
subdirectory called "kconf_update" in any path listed by
% kde-config --path data

As a sysadmin and in cases where the modification must be there can must not
be removed by the user, it would probably also be possible to modify (or
create) a global kickerrc with the neccessary changes and mark the as
immutable (using the Kiosk [1])

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Kiosk/Introduction