Problem running kcontrol from menu

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Nov 10 20:15:46 GMT 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007, Ryan Daly wrote:

> > I did notice that when I copied the file, my 'kbuildsycoca' produced
> > this:
> >
> > kbuildsycoca: new:
> > /opt/kde/v3.5.7/share/applications/kde/kcontrol.desktop
> >
> > However (pulling from the thread referenced above), when I issue
> >
> > ktradertest Application '' "DesktopEntryName=='kcontrol'"
> >
> > I get the following:
> >
> > query is : Application
> > genericServiceType is :
> > constraint is : DesktopEntryName=='kcontrol'
> > preference is :
> > kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca
> > from /var/tmp/kdecache-daly/ksycoca
> > kio (KTrader): query for Application : returning 0 offers
> > got 0 offers.

Hmm.
Do you probably have a second KDE version installed, or something left from an
older installation?

If you execute the following command, what does it print?

% kde-config --path xdgdata-apps

> > So something still isn't picking up that kcontrol.desktop file.
>
> I also noticed that I'm receiving the same symptom when attempting to
> edit the main menu.  (Meaning if I move my mouse over K Menu,
> right-click, and select Menu Editor, I get the following:
>
> kio (KLauncher): KLauncher: Got start_service_by_desktop_name('kmenuedit',
> ...)
>
> But, the menu editor does not launch.

The message says that the launcher has got the request to start an
application, not that starting succeeded. Seems to be the same problem.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring