Needed: modifiable menus or a different order of menu items

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sat Nov 10 16:28:08 GMT 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007, Bruce Korb wrote:
> I desperately needed to save the history of my shell window.
> I released the button over the "save as" entry, but the mouse
> wiggled.  The next entry was "erase history".  Everything is
> gone.  Completely gone.  Irretrievably gone.  I can't get it
> back.  Nothing left.  No way out.  Gone.  :(  Irretrievable
> errors should not be so close together.

The menu for KDE3's Konsole is unfortunately not based that part of KDE's GUI
framework which allows modification (KDE4's Konsole will).

Therefore the number of options are:

- assign a keyboard shortcut to the "Save History" action so you don't need
the menu fo saving the history

- disable the "Clear History" actions through a KDE action restriction.
For this you either need to put this into your konsolerc (usually
under .kde/share/config)

[KDE Action Restrictions]
action/clear_history=false
action/clear_all_histories=false

or execute the following commands

% kwriteconfig --file konsolerc --group "KDE Action
Restrictions" --key "action/clear_history" false

% kwriteconfig --file konsolerc --group "KDE Action
Restrictions" --key "action/clear_all_histories" false

which does the editing for you.

My guess is that the developer thought that the menu separator between the two
items was enough to keep them save. If you have an idea how this could be
improved, e.g. a specific different ordering of items, you could add a bug
entry on bugs.kde.org to let the maintainer know about it.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring