KMail and cifs userhomes

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.meier at fh-kl.de
Fri Nov 2 13:29:51 GMT 2007

Hi,
> On Friday 02 November 2007, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are using cifs userhomes mounted from a samba server.
>>
>> All is well exept for kmail. kmail crashes reproducible with segv(!).
>
> Does the backtrace/crash report give any hints on where it crashes?

the strace is attached.

But this looks strange:

set_tid_address(0xb57ea708)             = 4033
sendto(-1249990896, umovestr: Input/output error
0xc, 3061956596,
MSG_EOR|MSG_ERRQUEUE|MSG_DONTWAIT|MSG_FIN|MSG_SYN|MSG_MORE|0xb57e0000,
NULL, 3214877792) = 0

>> If we try this on the serverside with the local ext3-fs as userhome it
works. Strange enough: if we then use this userhome over the
>> samba/linx-cifs mount, it works also.
>
> Strange indeed. Probably failing to create something but is able to use
it once created by the local run.

>> We use unix-extensions for samba and the serverino option to make kde
happy (links, sockets)

>> We tried: linux-cifs-1.49/1.50c and debian/samba stable and testing,
kmail 1.9.7

> KMail also from Debian/stable?

yes, we tried stable/testing/unstable