KMail

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 12 17:41:07 BST 2007

Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.  Your questions dutifully answered.
 As I said, this problem is random.  Did not recur for 8 days.

On Saturday 05 May 2007 03:34, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Samstag, 5. Mai 2007 +0100, Bill Wells wrote:
> > for some days, I have been experiencing a race condition? in KMail when I
> > delete a message using the waste can in the icon bar.
> >
> > I start perusing mail, moving, reading and trashing as required.  at some
> > time during the session, (it seems to be completely random), when I click
> > on the trash icon, a line is drawn through the Subject Line of the
> > selected message and the hour glass goes into its slow rotation.
>
> This is the normal visualization of the deletion process, but it is usually
> so fast that one doesn't see it.
I see it every time!  Is my system that slow?  or do I have something slowing
down kmail?

ASUS A8B32-SLI_Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ / 2.2 GHz - Socket 939 - L2 1 MB
1 Gb RAM
Geforce 7300 GS 256Mb PCI Express Driver: nvidia 1.0-9755

Slackware 11.0 Kernel 2.6.17.13  KDE version 3.5.4

> > Going to another Desktop and looking at KSysGuard, kmail shows an
> > increasing rate of cpu usage with user% rising into the 90%-97% range.
> > This condition does not terminate.  I have let it run for up to 10
> > minutes. I kill the kmail process with the kill button and can then must
> > restart kmail.
>
> Sounds like some kind of infinite loop condition, i.e. a bug.
>
> > If I use the delete icon on the same message, the race condition recurs.
>
> Does it also occur when using the DEL key?
Yes

> > I have noted that when this happens, the message is always the first in a
> > thread.  If I collapse the thread and delete the entire thread, no
> > problem.
Again, the lead message in a 3 message thread.  Deleting the first message
initiated the loop,  DELETE key duplicated the previous behavior.  10 minutes
later, I terminated kmail with the kill option from KSysGuard.  Collapsed the
thread and DELETE key removed the thread with no odd/undesired results.

> > The abnormal/inelegant exit from kmail generates the "no subject" problem
> > and I am re-indexing mail files far more often than I would like.
> >
> > Is there a fix?
>
> Which version are you using?
Slackware 11.0 KDE 3.5.4

Bill