KMail

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 5 04:06:21 BST 2007

for some days, I have been experiencing a race condition? in KMail when I
delete a message using the waste can in the icon bar.

I start perusing mail, moving, reading and trashing as required.  at some time
during the session, (it seems to be completely random), when I click on the
trash icon, a line is drawn through the Subject Line of the selected message
and the hour glass goes into its slow rotation.

Going to another Desktop and looking at KSysGuard, kmail shows an increasing
rate of cpu usage with user% rising into the 90%-97% range.  This condition
does not terminate.  I have let it run for up to 10 minutes.  I kill the
kmail process with the kill button and can then must restart kmail.

If I use the delete icon on the same message, the race condition recurs.

I have noted that when this happens, the message is always the first in a
thread.  If I collapse the thread and delete the entire thread, no problem.

The abnormal/inelegant exit from kmail generates the "no subject" problem and
I am re-indexing mail files far more often than I would like.

Is there a fix?

Bill Wells