Adobe (Acrobat) Reader & clipboard graphics

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Sat May 5 00:14:24 BST 2007

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your help.  First of all, the problem went away
after I logged out and logged in again!  Adobe Reader's clipboard
now works both for text and graphics.  Argh.  (I didn't log out
to fix this problem.  It just so happened.)  I'm clueless what
prevented the proper functioning of the clipboard before.

Even though this is now a non-issue, let's tidy some things up.

| Where did you try pasting to? If you haven't, can you check another
| GKT+ based program, e.g. Gimp?

I tested Gimp, kcolourpaint, and ooffice, none of which worked
with Adobe Reader before.  Now I've confirmed that Gimp and
kcolourpaint work.

| However there can still be unfortunate "misunderstandings"
| between application: [. . .]

Thank you for the explanation.

| If you are interested in investigating, I've written a small test
| program which dumps the MIME type a Qt program will see on the
| clipboard.
[. . .]
| Run it, do the copy operation oin Adobe reader and then click the
| button in the test program. Should dump a list of MIME types
| currently offered on the clipboard to the console the test program
| was started in.

This is what I got:

  format(0)='TIMESTAMP'
  format(1)='TARGETS'
  format(2)='MULTIPLE'
  format(3)='image/ppm'
  format(4)='image/png'
  format(5)='image/jpeg'
  6 formats

When I copied some text into the clipboard in Adobe Reader,
I got this:

  format(0)='text/plain;charset=UTF-8'
  format(1)='text/plain'
  format(2)='text/plain'
  format(3)='text/plain;charset=ISO-8859-1'
  format(4)='TIMESTAMP'
  format(5)='TARGETS'
  format(6)='MULTIPLE'
  format(7)='text/rtf'