need to change something in configuration?

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Sat Mar 31 22:39:34 BST 2007

David J Brooks is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
> On Friday 30 March 2007 10:02:50 pm Rick Miles wrote:
> > Whenever I select a file with the mouse > right click > select "Open
> > With..." I get a little popup that allows me to go through my KDE desktop
> > menu and navigate to the required application.
> >
> > The problem with this popup window is that it extends off  my desktop
> > screen and cannot be resized with the mouse. This means that I have to
> > drag the window left to access the up/down scrollbar then drag it to the
> > right to navigate down throught the menus, and so on.
> >
> > Is there an rc file for this popup so it can be resized manually? I have
> > no idea what the popup is called.
> >
> > TIA
>
> Depending on how you have your window behavior configured, you may be able
> to bring the dialog back to a reasonable by size by double clicking on the
> title bar. You might also want to right click there and choose Special
> Application Settings from the Advanced menu.. if you've reset the geometry
> there, make sure you have applied it to the main app window only and not to
> the dialogs as well.
>
> David

I can get to the "Advanced" config dialogue you mentioned and see geometry
settings (1422,691) but changes are not
saved.

I used grep to locate these settings:

bash-3.1$ grep --text 1422,691 .kde/share/config/*
.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc:size=1422,691
.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc:size=1422,691

Which tells me where those oversize settings are:
<snip>
[1]
clientmachine=rick
clientmachinematch=0
description=Window settings for konqueror
size=388,459
# this looks like an OK setting but the ones below are what I'm
# looking for and they are not.
<snip>

[2]
clientmachine=rick
clientmachinematch=0
description=Application settings for kmail
size=1422,691
<snip>

[3]
clientmachine=rick
clientmachinematch=0
description=Window settings for kmail
position=0,77
positionrule=4
size=1422,691
<snip>

Unfortunately, editing, removing, etc. the .kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc file
does not help. These settings are rewritten in again.

A bit of googling returned this link:
http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=883

Which gives me the key to keeping a geometry setting, i.e. in Advanced >
Special Windows Settings > Geometry > Size  I have to use the drop down box to
set "Force" and then entered a new size using the same format
width/comma/height then the geometry settings stay where I want them.

I still cannot grab the sides of the box and resize though and haven't been
able to find a setting for resizing. I very seldom use "Open With" in kmail
but it is still annoying to find I cannot change a configuration to what I
want. It is probably buried somewhere. I seem to have a mental block on
remembering how to get to the desktop font colour and shadowed text
selections and always edit them by hand. Not a problem for me but it might be
enough to turn off someone just giving gnu/linux-kde a go for the first time.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

Written on Setting Orange, the 17th of Discord, 3173
http://www.turtlespond.net/