Konqueror - won't work with many sites

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 21:45:52 BST 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 20:21, T E Schmitz wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 March 2007 15:37 +0100, T E Schmitz wrote:
> >>Konqueror is my favourite browser. However, I still have to use half a
> >>dozen other browsers for all the web sites Konqueror does not cope with.
> >>It's got to the stage where I have to remember which website does not
> >>work in Konqueror.
> >>
> >>My impression is that Konqueror does not continue when it encounters an
> >>error on the page, for instance:
> >>
> >>Error:
> >>https://www.iblogin.com/hobsinternet/scripts/en/xc/menu-netscape.js?ver=I
> >>N_ HBOSC3_1.4.6: SyntaxError: Parse error at line 5
> >>
> >>while Mozilla ignores the error and continues.
> >
> > Maybe because the file contains this [see attachment]? :)
> >
> > Since it explicitly checks for Netscape, it could include some Netscape
> > specific hacks.
>
> I find online banking sites tend to be the main problem.
>
> > You could try a different user agent (Tools menu has a user agent
> > switcher)
>
> I know - I make extensive use of this nice feature. Switching to
> Netscape or IE doesn't help in this case.
>
> > Sometimes sites work even better when JavaScript is turned off :)
>
> I can well believe that. ;-) but it doesn't help in this instance.

The bank and some other sites problem came up some years ago. I think the
conclusion was that the site asked for the java version etc and if it wasn't
windoze just refused to work with it. I always email the webmaster at site when
that happens - not that it does any good. I had the problem with flash
recently - the email was answered saying that they just won't accept anything
but flash X. Be interesting to see if they accept the new version.
--
Regards
John

Suse 10.0