Kaffeine can't find codecs etc.

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 13:56:49 BST 2007

I seem to have lost the ability to play anything from mp3 to avi's etc after
installing kaffiene 8.3. I've followed the suggested link for a replacement
for the suse xine and installed that plus newer libcaca and libtheora to get
round dependencies. I didn't need to install new versions of alsa or speex.

If I run kaffeine -w it can find win32 etc and is only unhappy because it
can't access /dev/dvd - permission refused. (on suse
that's /media/dvdrecorder). I did try adding a simulink but that doesn't seem
to help. Maybe I haven't done that in the right way?

Going on from that if I click on anything that kaffiene should play it comes
up with "can't find plugin to handle etc" even on an mp3.

I have also tried to run a file directly from xine and get the same error
message. All of the codecs etc are there as installed my mplayer but there is
no indication where xine expects to find them. The kaffeine wizard definitely
does find them!. Also the xine load log shows that it can't find a demux for
an mpv file. Xine also seems to be installed in a "simple user mode" maybe
more advanced modes allow the codec directories to be specified. There
doesn't seem to be any way of changing this.

Curiously all but dvd playing was fine with the original suse installation
once mplayer had been install. That still functions perfectly.
Adding the dvd lib didn't allow dvd's to be played. The best I managed was -
have you permission to play this. Running as root didn't help either.

'elp.

--
Regards
John