(no subject)

Scott Bicknell scotbicknel at cox.net
Tue Mar 27 17:25:59 BST 2007

On Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:18 am, michael tucker wrote:

> hi all,
> i'm soon to upgrade my suse 10.1 system to 10.2  also in the
> near future im planning on getting a laptop
> more likely it will be windows vista home basic---- i heard
> many bad things about that specific system
> the question im wanting to ask is
> can i get some kind of documentation that i can show a window
> user- that linux isnt a dinosaur aka "apple" or "win 95"

Have her take a look at The KDE User Guide at
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/userguide/index.html

It is a good end-user guide to the most popular graphical
environment available on most Linux systems. Have her compare
its features with what Windows offers and tell you if she still
thinks Linux is a dinosaur.

> and some kind of documentation on whether or whether not its
> possible to partiton a suse linux system to a windows laptop
> with built in wireless - that i can use the interenet with
> linux wirelessly

See The Linux Wireless LAN Howto at
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

This should be documentation enough to show it can be done.

and the Linux + Windows HOWTO
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Linux+Windows-HOWTO.html

In general, SUSE will automatically resize and repartition your
computer's hard disk to make room for Linux and will
automatically configure the computer to dual boot. By the way,
Linux installation programs usually do not have a problem
recognizing Windows file systems and installing the software
onto a computer with only those file systems present. The
reverse, installing Windows onto a computer with only
non-Microsoft file systems, will not work.

But trying to convince a Microsoft true-believer is usually an
exercise in futility. Good luck.

If you are going to buy a laptop, try to buy from a source that
designs computers for Linux. If you buy one designed for
Windows, you may have problems with drivers.
--
73, AC7ZZ
http://counter.li.org/