Starting kde

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 12:33:50 GMT 2007

Hi
I have a problem.
When I boot suse takes me to "safe mode" just running the kernel after
reporting a bad block on a scsi disc and advising me to throw it away as it
didn't cost much!
In safe mode it mounts and checks out using reiserfsck and also when I run the
scsi card bios checks. Also checks out ok with the scsirastools. ls's and the
files seem to be ok too.

My main problem is that I am somewhat lost in the kernel and would prefer to
work under kde so I tried to start kde. Startkde generated an error message
stating that it couldn't find the X server. So I typed startx and that
complained too.
Does anybody know just what I need to type and where to get into KDE?

Also if anybody knows of a link which explains just what file/files suse10
uses to get from boot to kde I would be very grateful. I've tried searching
for snippets of the error message. They take hours as I can't exclude my home
directory - those have come up with nothing too.
--
Regards
John

Suse 10.0