How to see total number of filesin Directory with subdirectories

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Mar 10 21:27:30 GMT 2007

On Saturday 10 March 2007 21:35, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday 10 March 2007 21:04 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Konqueror in file manager mode when you open a directory only shows the
> > number of subdirectories, and any files in the parent directory.
> >
> > For example, I have a directory named Sounds-Library with all my .wav
> > soundfiles in it. When I open the Sounds-Library directory it says there
> > is one file, and 52 Folders (subdirectories). Within the subdirectories
> > are more subdirectories, and within these are the soundfiles.
> >
> > What I'm looking for is a way to see (recursively) how many soundfiles
> > are in my Sounds-Library directory. Is this possible with Konquerors file
> > manager?
>
> Right click the folder and open its properties window

That unfortunately only gives me the size of the directory, including files in
all subdirectories, but move on down.

> > Or can anyone suggest a CLI solution for solving this problem?
>
> $ find /path/to/folder -type f | wc -l

This does the trick. 8.4GB of .wavs translates to 17480 files. That seems one
hell of a lot of files, and it's no wonder that I find it so difficult
choosing a sound.

Thanks a bunch for the CLI solution.

> Cheers,
> Kevin