Kword and openoffice.org-writer use differnt odf-files?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 15 18:27:21 BST 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007, Alexander wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> i use Kword and openoffice.org Writer some time now.
> I have noticed that files saved with Kword will not display correctly in
> Openoffice and vice versa.
>
> I have the latest versions. (Kword 1.6 and OO 2.04 i think)
>
> Do they use different odf-files or why is this so?
> I find this really bad. I thought odf is a standart.
> Or maybe i have to change a program setting?

Neither KWord nor OpenOffice.org fully implement the specification yet and
both have a different subset implemented.

Since implementing a new format as the applications native format (i.e. no
importing or exporting) often requires internal changes as well, it will take
a bit until the ODF support is fully finished.

In the case of KWord the application would also have needed some extending to
cover features it didn't support yet, however, since the KOffice developers
are short on manpower, they decided to aim for full ODF compatability in
KOffice 2.0 and only implement those parts of the specification on 1.x which
they could to with their available featureset.

If you are interested in details you could ask on the koffice mailinglist as I
am sure the KOffice developers can explain this a lot better :)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring