Set Path for Run Command

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ucar.edu
Sat Jun 9 00:16:37 BST 2007

Tim Johnson wrote, On 06/08/2007 03:58 PM:
> Hi:
> I have a group of shell scripts at /home/bin.
> When I attempt to run any of those from the "Run Command" Dialogue,
> I get "Could not run the specified command."
> I presume that is because the Dialogue is not aware of the
> path.
> If so, how may I add it?
> thanks
> tim

Tim,

Read the 'startkde' script.  There's a section in there that scans and
sources all files matching ${HOME}/.kde/env/*.sh.

Thus, create a file called, say "${HOME}/.kde/env/Add_Path.sh"

containing:
------------------------------------
# Add components to KDE's PATH

[ -d /home/bin ] && PATH=/home/bin:${PATH}
export MY_KDE_DEBUG="Yahoo"
------------------------------------
(note this script doesn't have to be executable (since it's sourced
by the startkde shell script)

You can verify this after you restart your KDE session by using the
Run-Command with

       xmessage "PATH=$PATH"
       xmessage "$MY_KDE_DEBUG"    (should open an xmessage saying "Yahoo")

This approach allows you to modify the operational environment of KDE,
(including the 'mini-cli' and the run-command as well as other
components of KDE spawned from 'startkde') whereas the other answer i've
seen given here (modifying /etc/profile) is a big hammer that affects
everything.  (which could be what you want, too).

Please note that at least on my system (Debian Etch with KDE 3.5.something)
that the 'startkde' script logic will also source anything in /usr/env/*.sh
based upon how 'kde-config --path exe' returns
"/home/sdowdy/.kde/bin/:/usr/bin/"

So, you could use /usr/env/*.sh to affect *ALL* user's KDE environments.

--stephen

--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  sdowdy at ucar.edu        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/