Bad looking fonts on Fedora 7 and latest KDE Branch 3.5

sheep sheepzilla at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:17:23 BST 2007

On 6/4/07, Steven P. Ulrick <lists-kde at afolkey2.net> wrote:

> 3. I enter the root password and click "OK"  Before I proceed on point
> 3, here is a link to the screenshot:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-FontInstaller.jpg
> You will notice the really nice looking anti-aliased fonts that are
> inside the administrator mode part of the window?  You will further
> notice that the fonts in the rest of the window are still the inferior
> looking ones that display with Branch 3.5 apps.

> Steven P. Ulrick
> --
>  16:33:30 up 7 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.50, 0.25

Hi Steven,

If the fonts are changing like that when you log into root, then it
*must* be a problem with a user configuration file - it may be that
the default user configuration file is the problem, if you tried a new
user and still had aliased fonts. I can only suggest comparing
fonts.conf and any other font related configuration files you can find
in /root/ to those under your home directory.

On an unrelated note, even what you call the beautiful fonts do not
have hinting enabled, which would make them even prettier :D This is
probably because hinting is disabled in the build of freetype you are
using. To enable the hinting when building the freetype library, you
should edit the ftoption.h file, and uncomment the various hinting
#defines.

--
sheep