Bad looking fonts on Fedora 7 and latest KDE Branch 3.5

steve at afolkey2.net steve at afolkey2.net
Sun Jun 3 16:39:42 BST 2007

On Sun, June 3, 2007 10:21 am, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
>> Hello Phillip
>> Here are two screenshots of Konqueror with Comic Sans as the test font:
>> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-Konqueror-ComicSans-01.jpg
>> http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-Konqueror-ComicSans-02.jpg
>>

> OK, so the difference is that in 3.5 branch, the fonts aren't being
> antialiased (if you use a magnifying program like xmag or kmag to compare
> the edges of the letters in the two examples, you can see more clearly
> what's happening). Check that antialiasing is enabled in control center
> ->
> appearance & themes -> fonts -> use antialiasing.

That is one of the first things that I checked.  The appropriate box was
checked the first time I saw this problem, and it was checked when I took
all of the screenshots of this issue.

> There's one other thing I can think of, which is that the way the KDE
> antialiasing setting works has changed during the 3.5 series. If you're
> using the same $KDEHOME (eg ~/.kde) for your distro and compiled versions
>  of KDE, their antialiasing settings might be conflicting. I'd strongly
> recommend using separate config dirs for the two versions.

When I get Branch 3.5 from SVN working properly, it is the only version
that I use.  I only have messed with the version that ships with Fedora 7
to test this issue.
Also, I have tried all of this with a completely fresh user account that
has the appropriate paths set in it's .bash_profile so that it uses the
SVN compiled Branch 3.5 KDE.  The problem still is an issue on that
account that has never had a Fedora 7 KDE app run from it.
All that being the case, I will re-run the experiment that I did with
Comic Sans when I get home from a completely fresh account that I will
create just for that purpose.

Thank you VERY much for your attention to my dilemma :)
Steven P. Ulrick