Bad looking fonts on Fedora 7 and latest KDE Branch 3.5

Steven P. Ulrick lists-kde at afolkey2.net
Sun Jun 3 14:11:14 BST 2007

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:48:24 +0100
Philip Rodrigues <philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Here is an interesting one that I just thought of doing:
> > http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/screenshot-TwoKonquerors.jpg
>
> Ah, so that's a useful screenshot to show what you're aiming at. It
> looks like what's happening is that your branch version of KDE is
> using helvetica (which is a bitmap font, and can't be antialiased),
> whereas your version from packages is using some non-bitmap font
> which *can* be antialiased.
>
> So, the two things you need to do are:
> 1. To get the fonts you want in GUI elements (menus, etc), choose a
> vector font in control center -> appearance and themes -> fonts. For
> example, I use Arial, although there are plenty of other vector fonts
> around that you might prefer.
>
> 2. To get antialiased fonts in konqueror, go to Settings-> Configure
> Konqueror -> Fonts.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Philip

Hello, Phillip
Later I will have to get back to you on this.  But one thing comes to
mind: before my upgrade from Fedora Core 6, I could choose about any
true type font that I wanted and it just worked: it was smooth.  (I
could even use Comic Sans...  Times New Roman...)
Now, the only difference being having Fedora 7, fonts that I Know
worked perfectly before now look terrible.  Also, those same fonts that
now look terrible, if I try them using the version of KDE that ships
with Fedora 7 they look perfectly smooth.  When I use the Branch 3.5
KDE, they look terrible.  Does this prove that KDE Branch 3.5 is at
fault?  No, far from it.  But the question arises at the very least,
what is different between the KDE I want to use and the one that ships
with Fedora 7 that causes the same fonts to display differently on the
same system.  This is in GUI applications as well as Konsole terminal
windows.

Anyway, I'll get back to you later with more details that I have.

Steven P. Ulrick

--
 08:04:19 up 1 day, 13:57,  2 users,  load average: 1.69, 1.64, 1.80