Getting HiRISE to work; JavaWS app

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 12 13:51:02 BST 2007

FYI mars fan:

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu

but, I was having problems getting it to work.

I find that KDE ships with a 'desktop' file for 'javaws' in KAppFinder:

$KDEDIR/share/apps/kappfinder/apps/Internet/javaws.desktop

however this presumes that the: "javaws" executable is in your PATH.  If
you installed Sun Java yourself, this probably will not be the case.

The fix is simple, change the 'Exec' line to:

	Exec="$JAVA_HOME/javaws/javaws"

{if you haven't set JAVA_HOME in your environment, use the actual path}

and copy the file to:

	$KDEDIR/share/applnk/.hidden/javaws.desktop

Be sure to set the ownership to root/root and the permissions to 664.

--
JRT