Network sound problem

Basil Fowler b.j.fowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 20:35:09 BST 2007

Thank you Kevin.

The environment variable ESPEAKER is indeed missing.

On followup question.

How should I correct the situation? Should I modify "startkde"
to check which display is operative, and then added the appropriate
definition, or should I put it elsewhere?

For info, the relevant part of .bashrc is :

# If remote connection, set sound server parameters and xkbmap
echo $DISPLAY | grep 'eccles' > /dev/null

if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
        export ESPEAKER=eccles:5001
        export ARTS_SERVER=eccles:5100
        setxkbmap fr -print | xkbcomp - $DISPLAY 2>/dev/null
else
        unset ESPEAKER
        unset ARTS_SERVER
fi

(eccles is the name of the slave computer)

I am a lurker rather more than a contributor, but I would like to express my
thanks for all the work you do for this list.

Basil