How to create missing icons for toolbar items in Kmail

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 23 00:34:33 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 01:14, Nigel Henry wrote:
> This is frustrating. I'm using Kmail on FC2, and the button doesn't exist
> on Kmail 1.6.2 (using KDE 3.2.2-14.FC2.legacy Red Hat)
>
> I've just looked on Debian Etch on the other machine, which is using Kmail
> 1.9.5 (Using KDE 3.5.5) and that has the button to change icon.

It might still be possible to do it, but just not through the GUI.
You could check what the respective change on the newer KMail does to KMail's
configuration file and then apply the same to the older KMail's file (though
it would be wise to make a backup copy first :))

> Any suggestions Kevin on avoiding losing the mail, and bookmarks while
> moving them would be very welcome.

This is not too diffcult.
First you need to find out where your mails are.
This can be ~/Mail or .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail (not 1005 sure about the
second one)

For example I have been using KMail for ages, so the mail is on the old path,
i.e. ~/Mail

I can do a KMail backup, including config and addressbook like this

$ tar cvzf mails.tgz
Mail/ .kde/share/config/kmailrc .kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf

Restoring is just untarring the archive, of course neither KMail nor
KAddressBook should be running during either procedure :)

Since ~/Mail is a compatability feature for people who started early to use
KMail, it has to be present before running a new KMail the first time, so it
can detect it, otherwise it will create a new mail directory in the second
location mentioned above. If you already have this second location, there is
nothing special to consider.

The Konqueror bookmark file is .kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
You can just copy it or include it in the transfer tar archive.

A good check to see if you have everything is to create such a transfer
archive and then create a new user account and unpack it there.
The new user should then have KMail and Konqueror as you would expect them on
the original account.

** Caution **
Since the new user's KMail will have the same configuration, it will do the
same mail checks if you have something like this enabled, so it might
download new mails which you then don't have back on the real user account
unless you do the transfer trick again in  the other direction,

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring