kicker and the acpi

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 23 22:00:45 BST 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday 23 August 2007, pol wrote:
>> Sometimes my laptop overheats, because fan does not start. Restarting the
>> kicker by the  command:
>>
>>    dcop kicker kicker restart
>>
>> results in the fan starting up.
>> Also, sometimes fan keeps running even when the cpu is not hot at all (as
>> one can infer by the temperature of the air flowing out). As the kicker is
>> restarted as before, fan comes to rest.
>>
>> Any hints about how the two devices are related?
>
> You are probably running an applet which talks to HAL for powermanagement and
> from the behavior you experience with you fan, it seems like this applet is
> having a serious bug.

You know... I think I have the same problem as pol. The only applets I
run however are the authorization indicator and klipper. (Maybe this is
a bug in older KDE 3.x? I haven't used the laptop in question in some
time, or I would be more specific which version.)

--
Matthew
.rorrim a ot pu rotinom ruoy dloh ,egassem siht daer oT