in su, get repeatedly messages: Launched ok, pid = 6867

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 07:37:20 BST 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007 11:57:31 David Harel wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I use KDE 3.5.5 (base -r4, libs -r10).
> Sometimes I su to a different user and start kde application such
> as kdiff3 or krusader and then I keep getting the above messages.
> I noticed that a new instance of klauncher is started on the su session.
> When I kill that process everything is back to normal.
>
> Any idea?

Hi,

If you don't want to get any output, you can always redirect it to /dev/null.
If the message you get appears on stderr, you can redirect only stderr. Try
it out:

(Assuming a bash-like shell, redirecting all output to /dev null:)

$ su someuser -c command > /dev/null 2>&1

(Just stderr:)

$ su someuser -c command 2> /dev/null

Best regards

--
Blade hails you...

Should I dress in white and search the sea
As I always wished to be - one with the waves
Ocean Soul
                                  --Nightwish