Translate Gnome startup script to KDE

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 18:32:38 BST 2007

I have had a rather hard time enabling Compiz on my Dell laptop, as it
has an ATI X1400 video card. I found a tutorial which helped me
configure Compiz in Gnome, but I'm not about to switch to Gnome just
for some eye candy. I hope that someone here can help me translate the
scripts used in the tutorial to start KDE instead of Gnome. I myself
have been unable to do so, after a good day googling the subject.

These are the scripts:

/usr/share/xsessions/xgl.desktop:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xgl
Comment=Start an Xgl Session
Exec=/usr/local/bin/startxgl
Icon=
Type=Application

/usr/local/bin/startcompiz:
#!/bin/bash
# # Start beryl-manager within gnome-session #
if (( `ps -A -o comm | grep -c '^Xgl$'` == "1" )); then  DISPLAY=:1
gnome-settings-daemon &  DISPLAY=:1 compiz --replace  else echo "${0}:
Error: compiz not launched. Xgl not running?" fi

/usr/local/bin/startxgl:
#!/bin/sh
Xgl -fullscreen :1 -ac -br -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv:pbuffer &
sleep 4
export DISPLAY=:1
exec gnome-session

This is the address of the original tutorial:
http://blog.stephanbuys.com/2007/04/compiz-and-ubuntu-feisty-fawn-ati-x1400.html

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/