Accelerator Keys

Robert Morrison orbert at orbert.net
Thu Apr 26 19:40:22 BST 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 11:00, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 26. April 2007 +0100, Robert Morrison wrote:
> > On Kubuntu 6.10 with KDE 3.5.5.
> >
> > I'm puzzled by the behavior of accelerator keys, which
> > sometimes work and sometimes don't. For example, Firefox
> > has a "_T_ools" menu which I can get to with alt-t. Kate
> > also has a "_T_ools" menu, but alt-t in Kate doesn't work
> > as an accelerator; it just puts a "t" into the current
> > document.
> >
> > It seemed odd that accelerator keys would work in a
> > non-KDE-native app and not in a native one. Something
> > overriding/capturing/hiding the keystroke? I looked in
> > the "Keyboard Shortcuts" section of System Settings.
> > Couldn't find any assignment for alt-t.
>
> Maybe an application specific override, i.e. through Kate's "configure
> shortcuts", or, in case you are using some, a Kate plugin.

Thanks for the suggestion; I should have been more clear:
accelerator keys in general don't work in any KDE app.
For example, alt-f and alt-h (file and help) don't do
anything in kopete or kscd. (In Kmail, alt-f does the
same thing as plain f: brings the current message up for
forwarding.)

> The shortcuts work here (Debian SID/KDE 3.5.6, just recently
> upgraded, worked wth 3.5.5 as well)

Well, that's good to know as a data point. But I'm
not sure how to pursue tracking this down. I don't have
anything special going on with keys or keyboard, as far
as I know. Hmm ... wait, I am using an kind of an oddball
OEM USB keyboard; but I don't have any other USB keyboard
to test with, and this box doesn't have any ps2 ports.

Yikes! It is the keyboard. Turns out the left alt key
works as expected. The left hand alt key is in an
awkward place on this kb (actually, they both are,
but the right is less worse), so I was using the right
one almost exclusively; didn't occur to me to test
with the left one separately. Well, now we know.

Thanks!