Accelerator Keys

Robert Morrison orbert at orbert.net
Thu Apr 26 16:50:04 BST 2007

On Kubuntu 6.10 with KDE 3.5.5.

I'm puzzled by the behavior of accelerator keys, which
sometimes work and sometimes don't. For example, Firefox
has a "_T_ools" menu which I can get to with alt-t. Kate
also has a "_T_ools" menu, but alt-t in Kate doesn't work
as an accelerator; it just puts a "t" into the current
document.

It seemed odd that accelerator keys would work in a
non-KDE-native app and not in a native one. Something
overriding/capturing/hiding the keystroke? I looked in
the "Keyboard Shortcuts" section of System Settings.
Couldn't find any assignment for alt-t.

Any hints appreciated. Thanks.