Where are the logs (Desktop(?) Problem)

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Tue Apr 10 22:11:39 BST 2007

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 21:31, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Justin Denick wrote:
> > There may be some stale lock file in the /tmp or in the /var/lock dir.
> >
> > You would be able to see them better by trying to start kde from the CLI
> >
> > Hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to a command prompt, and then type startkde and
> > see what happens
>
> That's a good approach, although you'll need "startx" rather
> than "startkde". Another thing would be to try with a newly-created user,
> which would also tell you whether there was some stale config or lock lying
> around.
>
> Regards,
> Philip

Thanks, I figured the startx out (startkde would not work) but it brings
nowhere. Seems actually it may not be KDE but X that's out of order. I could
try a new user but since even root doesn't work....

Well, as I was anyway in the process of changing the system, I'll just
transfer my settings and use the old partition to test some new distribution,
I don't have enough time to waist on mending the old one.

thanks anyway,

Thierry