font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Sep 30 14:03:33 BST 2006

On 06/09/30 13:35 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:

> Am Freitag, 29. September 2006 18:37 schrieb Felix Miata:

>> When qt and gtk apps are all set to the "same" fonts but they don't
>> actually match, it means kde and gtk are using different DPI values.

> There's the phrase I was waiting for to appear: "different DPI values".
> I put screen size in xorg.conf, so dpi is gathered automatically.
> Now where do KDE and Gtk get _different_ values than those calculated by X?

>> http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html should help you find out how your
>> DPI is derived, then you can adjust as necessary to ensure they match.
>> Mine match: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Mozilla/b333357a

Since it isn't apparent you bothered to read through the dpi.html URL I
gave you, I don't think there is any more I can say at this point. You
mentioned nothing about which distro you are using or how you start KDE
to give any clue what component is trying to control DPI. Open
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi-screen-window.html in both Firefox and
Epiphany and Konq and see if all report the same DPI as KInfoCenter. You
may need to remove or add the GTK config setting for DPI, which is on
the 2nd page of gnome-control-center fonts.
--
"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you
have, get understanding. Esteem her, and she will exalt you;

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409