font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Sep 29 17:37:38 BST 2006

On 06/09/29 17:57 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:

> Since I have some gtk apps around I seup gtk theming in kcontrol.
> Now, whatever I do I can't get the fonts to look alike reagrding size.

> Example: I set everything but monospace to DejaVu Sans 8.
> I tell kcontrol to use the same for gtk.
> They look different, the font is smaller in gtk apps. Roughly matches DejaVu
> Sans 7. Since I even like that appearance better I set all KDE fonts to
> DejaVu Sans 7 and keep gtk at 8.
> Now they *come close* but don't really match.
> Height seems to match, but spacing and width is a wee tad wider in KDE apps.

> Now how come? I thought KDE and Gnome both use fontconfig and just pass font
> rendering on to X.
> I seriously like a consistent look.

When qt and gtk apps are all set to the "same" fonts but they don't
actually match, it means kde and gtk are using different DPI values.
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html should help you find out how your
DPI is derived, then you can adjust as necessary to ensure they match.
Mine match: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Mozilla/b333357a
--
"Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you
have, get understanding. Esteem her, and she will exalt you;

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409