smbfs $HOME and kde

Боян Табаков blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 17:56:11 BST 2006

On 14.9.2006 18:07, Vladimir Rusinov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am system & network administrator at Voronezh State University (Russia).
>
> Our network is based on windows domain and has about 500 users. Every user
> have //domain/home$/usename share and some other common shares.
>
> Now I'm making a linux clone to setup it in our labs.
> There ware many problems with authentification and shares mounting, but
> most of all were solved.
>
> I'm monting //domain/home$/username as user's $HOME on logon. So, users
> have their $HOMEs in smbfs.
> And they can't start kde and almost all kde apps (fluxbox and ion3 are
> working poperly, but users are in shock with them).
>
> Reason:
> kdeinit can't make any simlinks and fails to start.
> I have added to /etc/porfile some lines like
> mkdir -p ~/.kde
> mkdir -p ~/.kde/kdecache-linux
>
> But dcopserver fails to start. As I understood it tryes to lock some
> .ICEauthority file, but it's impossible on smbfs.
>
> I need some advice.

Hi,
Are you trying to mount a Windows share, or you are building the whole system
on Linux machines? If all OSes are Unix based, you should use NFS, rather
than Samba. NFS is designed to be mounted remotely and I think it should work
just fine for your case.

--
Blade hails you...

Ruling with the scythe of death you tear out philosophies apart
An ancient starwalk to merge into the stars
                                                    --Nightwish