smbfs $HOME and kde

Vladimir Rusinov rusinov at cs.vsu.ru
Thu Sep 14 16:07:30 BST 2006

Hello!

I am system & network administrator at Voronezh State University (Russia).

Our network is based on windows domain and has about 500 users. Every user
have //domain/home$/usename share and some other common shares.

Now I'm making a linux clone to setup it in our labs.
There ware many problems with authentification and shares mounting, but most
of all were solved.

I'm monting //domain/home$/username as user's $HOME on logon. So, users have
their $HOMEs in smbfs.
And they can't start kde and almost all kde apps (fluxbox and ion3 are
working poperly, but users are in shock with them).

Reason:
kdeinit can't make any simlinks and fails to start.
I have added to /etc/porfile some lines like
mkdir -p ~/.kde
mkdir -p ~/.kde/kdecache-linux

But dcopserver fails to start. As I understood it tryes to lock some
.ICEauthority file, but it's impossible on smbfs.

I need some advice.

E-mail: vladimir at location.org.ru
JID: b_dot at jabber.ru
ICQ UIN: 323123279