Problem setting file associations (and other settings)

D Rager rageratwork at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:58:35 BST 2006

Hi All,

I'm having problems setting default file associations and other
settings. I've tried to set the default application through the
Control Center or through the right click context menu, I get the
dialog that states it's updating system information and then no error
messages. It seems like it should have worked however, no settings
have actually changed.

I first noticed this issue with file associations, however it seems to
extend to most other configuration settings as well, from the
applications menu to desktop icon positions, etc. For instance, if I
position an item on my desktop, it will remain there for the remainder
of the session, however, the next time I log in, they are back in
their original position. The application menu items have the same
problem as file associations. If I try to add an item, it acts as if
it worked fine, however, it does not appear on the menu.

To me it looks like a permission issue, however, I've checked the
permissions on the configuration files and directories and they are
writable by the user.  I checked in the Kiosk application to see if
anything was locked out but all looks fine.

I'm stumped. Is there anything I might have missed? Has anyone
encountered this before? I've looked through the archives and found
similar problems but nothing that addressed my issue.

Thanks for any help,
Dave.

Oh yeah, I'm running SuSE 10.0 with KDE 3.5.1.