re-pointing a Desktop link

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 12:46:21 BST 2006

Soft links or symbolic links, such as those that are created when dragging a
file and choosing to link it are not files that can be ediited. However, if
you right-click on the directory you wish to link a files to and choose
'create new'>'link to location (URL)' Thes files are .desktop files that can
be modified.

On 9/1/06, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> On Friday 01 September 2006 03:19, David J Brooks wrote:

> > > This is what I did ultimately.

> > > But I don't have a URL tab!!! Only General, Permissions and Preview
> > > tabs. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked my question. :-)
> > >
> > > This link was created from a drag-and-drop, and maybe that makes the
> > > difference.
> >
> > I just tried it out, and you are correct. A dragged and dropped link has
> > no URL tab, and changing the filename on the general tab only renames
> > the link; it still points to the original file. The only way around I
> > can see is to create a new link and delete the old, just as you have
> > done.
> >
> > David
>
> Is this worth filing a bug or wish?

In vino veritas.