No root in Kubuntu was Re: new to Kubuntu

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Tue Oct 31 18:02:50 GMT 2006

Thanks for that Shawn. I've been a Slacker for years and prefer a secured
system out of the box too. I would expect careful thought went into the
decision to do it that way and the 'buntus do seem to be making inroads into
segments where Slackeware or Debian probably have never been heard of.

This has wandered a bit away from being KDE specific so I suppose we should
end it here. At least there is choice if one prefers something different.

Shawn Willden is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 06:32, Justin Denick wrote:
> > No root account!
> > What good would that do. Ridiculous.
> > I can see not giving somebody root access, but not having root access to
> > give would be like cutting off your thumbs. Go Debian :-(
>
> 1.  There is a root account, it just doesn't have a password.
> 2.  The first user account created has full root privileges via sudo.
> Other accounts can be granted such privileges.
> 3.  Although I understand how Ubuntu's disabled-root approach works and the
> rationale behind it, I also prefer Debian's more traditional approach of
> setting up a root password during installation.
>
> 	Shawn

Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

Written on Setting Orange, the 13rd of The Aftermath, 3172
http://www.turtlespond.net/