Konqueror and Java

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Oct 24 20:34:43 BST 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 13:31, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> People,
>
> I'm having some difficulties to run java applets in Konqueror. Some of them
> malfunction and others do not work at all.
> For example, try to open http://www.itautrade.com.br
> Here, the applet starts to load and then I get the message "Falha no
> sistema" (which means "System failure").
> The applet works fine in Firefox, using the very same JVM (Sun 1.5.0_08).
> Is this a known bug? Or is it a configuration problem? Does this site work
> for you?
> Another thing, how do I enable Java persistently in Konqueror? Is it
> necessary to activate it every time Konqueror is opened?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo

I have JRE 1.5.0.06 installed from Sun, and the site you have on your post
works fine. the monitor graph is displayed correctly. I had not set up
Konqueror for Java, but spent some time on this, this afternoon. Konqueror
does not use the Java plugin, and you have to directly link to the binary.
Eventually I got Konqueror accessing the binary, which was confirmed by
running the following URL.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

This showed that the applet was working ok. So I tried your site, which said
that the applet was starting, and the ticker started running at the bottom of
the monitor screen, but then got the same system failure as you, and the
graph would not display. the Java console gave a lot of output as below.

24/10/06 21:21:56 [HPTI3] init
24/10/06 21:21:56 [HPGR3] init
24/10/06 21:22:02 [HPTI3] start
Refresh :
https://ww51.itau.com.br/pegabds/Ticker.asp?Titulo=null&Arquivo=tickerdiferido.dat&NomeAtivo=1
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
 at HP3.HPTI3.update(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.RepaintArea.updateComponent(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.X11.XRepaintArea.updateComponent(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(Unknown Source)
 at sun.awt.X11.XComponentPeer.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
24/10/06 21:22:02 [HPTI3] run
run falha: false java.lang.NullPointerException
24/10/06 21:22:06 [HPGR3] run finalizado

I can't make much sense from this, but the continual references to "unknown
source" seem to be a problem here.

It would be good to have some other sites that need Java to try with
Konqueror. The only one I have is a French learning site that needs Java for
it's IRC, but Konqueror locks up using 100% CPU using that, and I have to use
Firefox.

Anyone suggest some sites that need Java, to try out Konqueror with them?

I also Googled a lot this afternoon, and it seems that lots of folks have
problems with Java on Konqueror.

Sorry I havn't found a solution to your problem.

Nigel.