Background image doesn't work

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 10:30:44 BST 2006

On 23.10.2006 03:28, Marek Franke wrote:
> Hiho,
>
> I've build KDE-3.5.5 from sources and KDE seems to work fine, except
> that I can't do anything on/with the background:
>
> - can't set any images
> - can't change any color (it is always black)
> - no popup-menu when i right-click on the background/desktop
> - can't copy any icons on the background (even at first start there's no
> icon)
>
> KDE-3.5.4 works fine (I've build from sources too). I have deleted my
> ~/.kde directory but didn't work.
> Maybe anybody have any idea why I can't change any settings an my
> background?
>
> thanks a lot, Marek

Sounds like kdesktop is not started. Check if it is running with:
$ ps -e | grep kdesktop

If it is not running, then start it with:
$ kdesktop &
and also make sure it is started each time you log in, by wither creating a
startup script in ~/.kde/Autostart, or saving your session with it running.

--
Blade hails you...

Make me wonder what's the meaning of life
What's the use to be born and then die
                              --Nightwish