font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Oct 1 12:25:19 BST 2006

Dexter Filmore wrote:
> Am Freitag, 29. September 2006 18:37 schrieb Felix Miata:
>> When qt and gtk apps are all set to the "same" fonts but they don't
>> actually match, it means kde and gtk are using different DPI values.
>
> There's the phrase I was waiting for to appear: "different DPI values".
> I put screen size in xorg.conf, so dpi is gathered automatically.
> Now where do KDE and Gtk get _different_ values than those calculated by X?

I don't know exactly how GTK was managing to get it wrong, but that is
the problem.  There was a bug in GTK which resulted in it getting a
slightly  incorrect DPI.  The GIMP was reporting 99.x DPI as the
default.  It did this despite the fact that I was using the X command
line parameter: "-dpi 100" to try to fix it.

So, I suggest that you either upgrade GTK or open the GNOME Control
Center and try setting the DPI for GNOME apps directly.

--
JRT