kstart can't connect to the X server from (root's) cron (was Re: Starting an app (via the CLI) and having its window appear on "all desktops")

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 16:52:41 GMT 2006

(Aside: I left the previous post and response intact, below, although I don't
think you need to refer to it.)

kstart works fine from root's CLI, but when I try to run it from root's cron I
get the error message:

kstart: cannot connect to X server

Within cron (see my edited current cron, below) I changed the path from:

/usr/bin:/bin

to:

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/

hoping that would solve the problem.  The path seems to have been successfully
changed, but kstart still cannot connect to the X server.

Do I have the wrong path (the path came from a "which X"), must I put
something else on the path, do something else?

Randy Kramer

My current cron (edited):

PATH =  /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/
* * * * * /bin/echo $PATH  >> /rhk/kstart.txt 2>&1
* * * * * /usr/bin/kstart --alldesktops /usr/sbin/net_monitor
>> /rhk/kstart.txt 2>&1

/rhk/kstart.txt is just a log file to help me troubleshoot.  The PATH does
appear correct in that log file.

The previous post: