all digitally signed emails showing as bad

Michel D'HOOGE list.dhooge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 21:47:58 GMT 2006

> This is because to verify the signature you gnupg software needs to have
> the corresponding public key. The default KMail settings are to not
> download automatically missing public keys. See Security Settings in KMail
> configuration window.

Here, I saved the message with its signature and then modified it directly
with Kate. The mail is also red, but the given explanation is a bit different.
However in both cases, it means that you can't trust what you read. In the
first case, this is because you cannot trust the key used to sign the mail
(and then someone could have made a fake one with the same email address). In
the second case, the signature doesn't match the received message. So maybe
it is just the mailer that messed the content, but you have no clue.

HTH
--
Michel