stop specific program from autostarting?

Jan Krajicek j.krajicek at atlas.cz
Sun Nov 5 15:47:02 GMT 2006

Hello,

I have a dual-head setup and my problem is that gkrellm keeps restarting
on screen 0 while I saved the session when it was on screen 1 where I
want it.

Since this will probably not get fixed in near future, I was wondering
if there is any way to simply stop a certain program from restarting at
all after saving a session with the program running, I would start
gkrellm myself by a ~/.kde/Autostart/ script on the correct screen, but
when I do that gkrellm autostarts on both screens, once correctly from
my script, and once extra on incorrect screen by session restore.

I searched a bit and read somewhere that programs that KDE restores from
an old session are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc and indeed
it's there, so I tried to remove all traces of gkrellm from there (and
if that worked I would have just done that in an init script at system
boot in future), but apparently I disrupted the format of the file or
something and besides gkrellm some other programs which I /want/ to
restart didn't.

Now I'm out of ideas.

There must be some simple way to stop a program from restarting, or to
get it restart on the correct screen, if anyone has an idea or a
different workaround, please tell me.

-JK