KPackage cannot connect to localhost port 22

Never you mind scrpt at catholic.org
Wed May 17 02:35:38 BST 2006

On 16/05/2006, at 4:54 PM, Christian Mueller wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 16. Mai 2006 03:25 schrieb Never you mind:
>>
>> On 15/05/2006, at 10:41 PM, Justin Denick wrote:
>>
>>> to allow root to your xsession try typing the following command as
>>> you
>>>  xhost +
>>
>> running xhost + returns this message: access control disabled, clients
>> can connect from any host

Even with access control disabled KPackage is complaining that it
cannot connect to host localhost port 22: connection refused.

I'm a unix newbie so it's possible that the basis of the problem lies
in (mis)configuration of the machine. This is a new box and I'm still
putting the pieces together. Are there any obvious pitfalls that I
should be testing for?

> Never do that, especially not when you're on a network.  It's not
> secure.
> Use "xhost +localhost" instead if you must.  That at least restricts
> access to your local machine.
> It's still not a good idea if other people can log into your box
> but at least it doesn't open it for the whole world.

thanks for that information Christian. I've read the xhost man page and
restricted access again