Have apps on root window or disable window decoration?

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Tue May 16 05:54:10 BST 2006

Hi KDE users,

I want to have a simple analog clock on my root window of every
desktop.  I don't want it to appear on my task bar.

I can think of three possibilities.

1) Run a clock application on the root window.

  Good.  But I don't know if such a thing is possible.

2) Use a dashboard- (Mac OS X) or Desklet- (Gnome) like capability.

  OK.  But I don't know if KDE has such a capability or
  if there are such applications.

3) Disable the window decoration of xlock (or any clock application).

  Simple and good.  But, I don't quite know how to do this.

3.1) kstart --type Dock --alldesktops xclock

  Almost there.  No window decoration.  But, there's an entry in
  the task bar.

3.2) kstart --skiptaskbar --type Dock --alldesktops xclock

  --skiptaskbar overrides --type Dock.  So, there's window decoration.

3.3) ksystraycmd xclock

  I don't know how to put xclock on all the desktops or
  how to disable the window decoration.

Thank you for your attention,

Ryo