KDE System sound

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat May 13 11:20:38 BST 2006

On Saturday 13 May 2006 08:52, Alexandre Bique wrote:
> Hi the list :-)
>
> The problem is about kcontrol/sounds & multimedia/System notifications.
> I have built kde 3.5.2 without arts and i can't play sound. I set a custom
> player ( /usr/bin/play from sox ), but kde doesn't play sounds.
> My sound system is working, i can play any ogg file or mp3 with amarok
> os /usr/bin/play
>
> Do you have an idea ???
>
> Thank you ^^

Hi Alexandre. When KDE sounds wouldn't play I've used, under "Player Settings"
on the System notifications page, the option to use an externel player. Now,
"artsplay" works for me, but probably needs arts installed. According to the
help page you can use non arts reliant players. See below.

<quote>
Maybe you want to use a special media player to play sound files, e.g. because
you use sound files in a special format or you don't use the aRts sound
daemon. In that case, check the Use external player option and enter the full
path and name of the program you want to use into the text field.

So perhaps you can set up Alsaplayer, for instance, to play the KDE sounds.

Nigel.