KPackage cannot connect to localhost port 22

Never you mind scrpt at catholic.org
Thu May 11 05:22:31 BST 2006

On 11/05/2006, at 1:11 AM, Justin Denick wrote:

> Some boxes don't allow root to gain ssh access. Smart idea in my
> opinon.

Right. I can see what your saying. It's a bit annoying that KPackage
throws an error instead of providing an informational response, eg,
"Access denied. Configure sshd on this machine to allow root access via
SSH protocol".

> Look at the sshd.conf file and comment out the line preventing root
> ssh access.

I can see /etc/ssh/sshd_config. I set PermitRootLogin to 'yes' and
uncommented it.

then

/etc/rc.d/sshd stop
/etc/rc.d/sshd start

no luck - same error message. Rebooting the machine is the same - no
luck.

> Or check to see that the daemon is listening on port 22. Same file.

top of the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config has:

#Port 22
#Protocol 2
#AddressFamily any
#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::

Nothing in the same file about ports, so it should be picking up 22 as
default.

malcolm