Tool for warning user that partition is almost full?

Schimara Marek marecek at listonos.cz
Fri Mar 24 14:44:01 GMT 2006

Hi,

I know that this is not very "K" solution, and it doesn't look cool, but it should work:

Basically you need a script that would run continuously (in an endless loop) which would sleep for a defined time between checks (use "df" for checking) and pop up "xmessage", (which is a messagebox almost for sure included with your X server) if the given disk is over the threshold. It should be quite easy to write ;-)

As I said it's not very nice or cool but functional. I use similar script to monitor and restart my Realplayer as it's prone to crashes when streaming BBC radio 4 (it doesn't popup anything though). It's impact on the cpu performance is minimal.

Marek

Dne: 23.3.2006 14:28,

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> napsal:

> On Thursday 23 March 2006 13:54, Anders Storsveen wrote:

> > Nigel Henry wrote:

 if

> > > Hi Felix. I normally use Kdisk free, which is on the "System" menu. It

> > > shows the state of discs with a graph, and I've just looked in the

 help

> > > file for it, and see there, that there is also a setting, under

 "General

> > > Settings" for an alert window to pop up, if a disc gets critically

 full.

> > I've used it for a while too, but it doesnt work :/ I've ran out of

> > space without warning lots of times... Luckily I usually have an open

> > terminal, or i'd be f*cked.

> Thats annoying, and "System notifications" doesn't seem to have anything

> specific to Kdisk free either. There is a line there that says.

> "A critical message is being shown" , and the display a messagebox icon

 isn't

> on that line. I might try putting it on that line, but it's going to take

> while to see if it works, unless you deliberately redline the drive.

> Nigel.

> > > Nigel.

> > > Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.

> > > More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.

> > Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.

> Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.

If you can't beat your computer at chess,

try kickboxing

                                           - Anonymous -