cannot login a new user in KDEV3.3 or V3.4

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Thu Mar 16 18:31:50 GMT 2006

Op donderdag 16 maart 2006 17:31, schreef Jim Steichen:
> After adding a new user, either via KUser or via console commands,  the
> KDE login
> accepts the new user name & password, then goes blank for awhile &
> returns to the KDE login
> screen.  The ~/.xsession-errors file for the new user is as follows:
[...]
> As you can see, KDE has problems, but does allow the old user to login &
> startkde.
> This problem exists for KDE V3.3.2 & V3.4.3, so I don't think it's
> really a KDE problem.
> I verified that I can create a new user on my Daughter's laptop, which
> is also running
> gentoo, so I'm pretty sure that there's a config file somewhere with a
> bogus setting,
> I just don't know where or what it is.  The new user belongs to the same
> groups as the
> older user, so the problem is not group-related.  I also verified that
> startkde knows
> the proper $PATH setting up to the point in the script where error
> messages get generated
> (line #166 etc).  I Briefly experimented with liberalizing the
> permissions of libart_lgpl_2.so.2
> and libaudiofile.so.0, but this did not fix the problem either.  Any
> ideas?

In ~/.bashrc of the new user, add:

export KDEDIRS=<PREFIX_TO_KDE>
export PATH=<PREFIX_TO_KDE>:$PATH

and ~/.xinitrc of the user should have

<PREFIX_TO_KDE>/bin/startkde .

With of course, <PREFIX_TO_KDE> replaced by... KDE's installation prefix.

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
  (Punch, 1855)